GEORGE WASHINGTON BIRTHDAY PARADE 2019 CELEBRATION
FAMILY FRIENDLY FUN EVENT IN ALEXANDRIA, VA.
Alexandria has a rich history of celebrating the birth of our first President. Ever since the Revolutionary War his birthday has been celebrated with dances, performances, and parades, and in 1976 – our country’s Bicentennial – the George Washington Birthday Celebration Committee was begun to organize these celebrations.
One of the most festive celebrations and the oldest and largest — with thousands of participants — is the George Washington Birthday Parade, an annual parade held on the third Monday in February, this year held on Presidents’ Day, Monday February 18, 2019. George Washington’s actual ( 287th) birthday is February 22. He was born in 1732.
The parade is a mile long and takes place in Old Town. Parade route map BELOW and in video also, which starts at the corner of Gibbon and Fairfax streets, heads all the way up to Queen Street and loops around left to head back down Royal Street, where it concludes at Wilkes Street.
First, second, and third place Parade Awards are given in the following categories: Youth Groups, Antique Vehicles, Community and Fraternal Organizations, Military Units and Drill Teams, Animal Units, Youth Bands, Honor Guards and Color Guards, Equestrian Units, Historical Units, Floats, and The Spirit of Washington.
George Washington Birthday Parade 2019 — PARTICIPATING GROUPS
GW Parade -- Registered Units
- 369th Infantry Regiment (Ebony Doughboys)
- Adventure Park USA
- Alexandria Democratic Committee
- Alexandria Volunteer Fire Department
- American Legion Riders Post 176
- Ancient Order of Hibernians Herbert-Cady Division (Old Town Alexandria)
- Brownie Troop 4562
- Brownie Troop 60029
- Caribbean Cruisers Car Club
- City of Alexandria Pipes and Drums
- Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage Alexandria Office
- Cub Scout Pack 1076
- Cub Scout Pack 129
- Cub Scout Pack 135
- Cub Scout Pack 1519
- Cub Scout Pack 301
- Cub Scout Pack 614
- Cub Scout Pack 801
- Daughters of the American Revolution National Soceity, John Alexander Chapter
- Daughters of the American Revolution National Society, Kate Waller Barrett Chapter
- Departmental Progressive Club, Inc. with Ladies Auxiliary
- F.F.C. 100% Salay USA
- First Virginia Regiment of the Continental Line
- Fishburne Military School
- Friends of Alexandria Archaeology
- Gadsby's Tavern Museum Society
- Girl Scout Association 60
- Girl Scout Brownie Troop 60028
- Girl Scout Brownies Troop 5442
- Girl Scout Troop 1163
- Girl Scout Troop 60043 - Charles Barrett ES
- Girl Scout Troop 60075 - Claremont Immersion School Arlington VA
- Girl Scouts Troop 60068, 4163, and 428
- Grand Marshal Dan Dellinger and The American Legion
- James Madison-4th President of the United States
- KENA Shriner
- Kiwanis Club of Alexandria
- Knights of Columbus, Potomac Assembly #2204
- Magnus Temple Marching Club
- Old Dominion Boat Club
- Pack 301 Cub Scouts
- Rocklands Barbeque and Grilling Company
- Rooftop Chimney Sweeps
- Sheriff Dana Lawhorne / Combined Public Safety Honor Guard
- Sons of The American Legion National Commander
- Sons of the American Revolution, George Washington Chapter
- The Ballyshaners
- The Little Theatre of Alexandria
- The Old Line Liberty Color Guard
- Volunteer Alexandria
- Washington Area Collectors Blue and Gold Military Vehicle Trust
George Washington Parade Transportation & Parking
There’s free DASH Shuttle Bus service from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Park in the lots beside the Eisenhower Avenue Metro Station. The free King Street Trolley will also run from the King Street Metro Station.
George Washington Birthday Other Events
Many other events are centered around Washington’s Birthday, including, but not limited to:
The Tenth Annual Cherry Challenge which ran from Jan. 27- Feb. 10 2019. 45 area area restaurants prepared cherry dishes which were rated by diners. Winners will be recognized at the George Washington Birthday Parade.
Walking with Washington Tours – remaining Walks to be held on.
FREE! Advance Reservations not required. Tour lasts approximately 2 hours.
beginning at the Alexandria Visitor Center (Ramsay House 221 King Street)
George Washington Birthday Banquet and Ball Saturday February the 16th from 5:30 – 11:00 PM at Gatsby’s Tavern Museum and Band Concert on Monday February 18th from 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM at Market Square.
Gadsby's Tavern Museum, 134 N Royal Street
Tickets are already sold out for the 1799-style celebration. The event features an 18th-century banquet, English country dancing, dessert collation, character re-enactors plus the General and Mrs. Washington. Period costume is optional, but "after-five" attire is encouraged. Get your tickets well in advance if you want to attend next year.
You can check on the status of these events, including the Parade, in case of questionable weather or other circumstances HERE
or by calling the Events Hotline at (703) 829 – 6640
Northern Virginia Real Estate Solutions For You
We are committed to keep you informed and on top of the local Northern Virginia real estate market. You can be certain that we will provide all the information you need to make the best choices for you and your family. We have been helping individuals, couples and families to purchase and sell homes in Alexandria and the surrounding areas of Northern Virginia for the last four decades and we would love the opportunity to help you too. Whether you are buying your first dream home or next we will take the time to answer all your questions and always give you the best advice available so that you can make your dream home a reality.
"George Washington Birthday Parade 2019 Information"
is brought to you courtesy of Dave Martin Realty Group, your Northern Virginia residential real estate experts. If you're considering selling or buying a house in the Northern Virginia metro area, we'd love an opportunity to earn your business, provide you an outstanding experience, and demonstrate to you that:
"Help From The Best Agent Makes All The Difference."
PLEASE CONSIDER FOLLOWING US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
© 2019 Dave Martin Realty Group